Earlier this week, Justin bought a big bag of special offer carrots… and then, couple of days later, his mum gave us half a bag of her bulk buy special offer carrots. We had a sudden glut!
So this week’s cake baking had to utilise some!
Fortunately we do love a good carrot cake, but decided on a little twist by making some carrot muffins with spiced Quark topping.
Cinnamon and pineapple are the dominant flavours – there’s a hint of ginger in there too.
Quark a fairly unusual ingredient with a taste and consistency somewhere between crème fraîche and cream cheese. We think it worked really well.
The resulting muffins are moist and full of flavour – and just a little bit different.
It’s an easy recipe, so a batch can be knocked up quickly.
They’re a great partner for that afternoon cup of tea we talked about recently.
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 150g/5oz ground almonds
- 30g/1oz caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 500g/1lb 2oz ricotta cheese
- 150g/5oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- juice from ½ lemon
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 15g/½oz flaked almonds, toasted (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF
- Grease an 18cm/7-inch loose-bottomed cake tin
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter and put over a low heat until melted
- Remove from the heat add the almonds and sugar and combine well
- Tip the mix out into the cake tin and press uniformly into the base using the back of a spoon
- Bake the base for 10 minutes, set aside and allow to cool
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ricotta and caster sugar until smooth
- Gently beat the eggs in a measuring jug before adding gradually to the cheese & sugar mix. Stir well after each addition
- Mix in the vanilla extract and then the lemon juice
- Sift the flour into the mix and combine well
- Pour the mixture on to the almond crumb base and bake for a hour
- After the hour, turn the oven off and leave the door ajar allowing the cake to cool in the oven
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the toasted flaked almonds over the top
- Allow to cool in the tin completely before removing