This week, we had a day out in Skipton – antique centre visit, charity shop trawling, shopping and lunching. We stopped off in our usual coffee shop, down one of the pretty little side streets off the main drag. Justin had eggs Benedict and I went for the pancakes with caramelised bananas.
As soon as the food arrived, Justin wished he’d ordered what I’d ordered. Not that his eggs weren’t cooked to perfection – they were, It’s just that my pancakes looked magnificent!
I felt a little sorry for him so I decided that I’d make some cinnamon pancakes with caramelised bananas for this week’s Cakes & Bakes offering.
This pile should keep him going for a while!
The caramelised bananas were unctuous and sweet – and layered generously between the pancakes. Clotted or whipped cream makes for the perfect accompaniment.
It’s a great dish for extravagant brunch or hearty dessert.
Fancy trying it yourself? Click here to save the recipe to Pinterest.
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 1½tsp baking powder
- ½tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp golden caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 25g/⅘oz butter, melted
- 200ml/fl oz milk
- A little butter or vegetable oil for cooking
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 60g/2oz soft brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp hot water
- knob of butter
- Preheat the oven to 120ºC/250ºF/Gas mark ½
- In a large measuring jug (or mixing bowl), combine the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, caster sugar and salt Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, melted butter and milk. Mix well until there are no lumps
- Use a little butter or vegetable oil to grease a griddle or heavy-bottomed frying pan(s)
- Heat over a medium to high heat. When it begins to sizzle, carefully pour on the batter to form small circles of about 10cm/4" across
- When the top just begins to dry out around the edge flip it over and cook for a further minute
- Remove from the griddle/frying pan, place it on a heat-proof plate and put in the warm oven. Repeat this until all the batter is used up
- Put the sugar, vanilla extract and hot water into a heavy bottomed skillet frying pan over a high heat
- Allow it to begin bubbling rapidly before you add the sliced banana.
- Turn the banana over so that it's completely covered in the caramel
- Add the knob of butter and carefully mix in until completely melted and combined
- Serve hot with clotted or whipped cream