This week has been quite busy, so today’s Cakes & Bakes is going to reflect this – it’s a fruit and nut soda bread loaf. Soda bread is delicious. It’s not an emergency or last resort loaf, but having said that, it’s a real godsend if pushed for time.
It was my birthday on Tuesday, so I had a lovely lie-in while Justin took the dog for a walk. In the afternoon, he took me for a pub lunch locally at the Staff of Life.
We stayed indoors during the evening but we shared a bottle of bubbly and caught up on some Scandi drama on television.
Yesterday, I went into Manchester city centre for yet another after-birthday lunch with a friend. Alas, after the whirlwind couple of days of being wined & dined, I’m getting back into the daily work schedule…
- Remove the cardamom seeds from their papery outer shell and grind finely using a pestle & mortar
- In a large saucepan add 220g of the dessicated coconut, condensed milk and powdered cardamom
- Heat over a medium flame stirring constantly until just before the mixture begins to colour (about 5 minutes) and most of the liquid has evaporated
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly before forming into balls the size of marbles using the palms of your hands
- Roll the balls in the reserved 30g of dessicated coconut