We have a spare bedroom in our house that has been earmarked as a work room. It’s currently acting as a spill-over stock room, but the dream is for it to be a craft room. Well, part organised craft room and part creative home office.
One of the main considerations for a craft room is storage. I like and need order in a work room – everything in its place and conveniently to hand. Although they’re lightweight and often transparent, I really don’t like ugly plastic boxes. Give me wood, wicker, cardboard, textile and other natural materials any day.
Another important thing to take into account is your comfort. You’ll probably be sitting down for long periods of time – at a sewing machine, at a desk – you don’t need a chair that makes your back ache. It needs to be the right height for the table or desk that you sit at so an adjustable workshop stool is ideal.
Adequate lighting is another necessity – especially if you’re doing jobs like embroidery or fitting a zip or attaching buttons. A good desk light with angled arms and a pivoting head is ideal for this kind of work. No straining your eyes with a dim overhead light casting a shadow over what you’re doing.
Once all these physical practicalities are taken care of, the emotional requirements need addressing. Colour is the best way to set a mood in an interior environment. Bright bursts of colour around the room lift the spirits. We both spend much of our working day listening to the radio – it’s usually tuned to BBC 6 Music but Radio 4 is the soundtrack to our lazy Sunday afternoons.
- Perivale Sewing Silks box: £200, H is for Home
- JL110 sewing machine, yellow: £99, John Lewis
- Female tailor’s dummy/mannequin: £28.95, eBay
- Wooden sewing box with legs: £50, Hobbycraft
- Large green cutting mat: £14.99, Dunelm
- PALLRA box with lid, set of 4, dark yellow: 12, IKEA
- PURE Evoke Mio radio stem print by Orla Kiely: £149.99, Selfridges
- Hemingway ladies print sewing & knitting range: £3-£6, John Lewis
- Colour pop wall shelves by I Love Retro: £129, Notonthehighstreet
- White pegboard with wooden pegs, large: £47.30, Amazon
- Jielde Signal desk light: £220, Clippings
- Konstantin Grcic Tom & Jerry stool: £336, Conran Shop
- Fonteyn console desk, oak: £369, MADE