July 18th, 2014
We’ve a little slate hanging up in the kitchen where we’re supposed to write down our shopping lists and messages but it’s so small that it rarely gets used. One of these proper memo boards will stop us from both buying the milk!
We had a look at some of our usual internet haunts and came up with this short-list. We love the 2-metre tall blackboard from Graham and Green (#4) but alas, we won’t have the space for it. It should go without saying that #2 is our favourite! Firstly, it’s bright orange; secondly, it’s a pegboard – something we’ve already said we want on a wall in our ‘soon to be set up’ home office.
- Week planner memo chalk board: £29.07, Wayfair
- Large pegboard, orange: £60, Notonthehighstreet
- Master of Boards® stainless steel magnetic memo board – Monaco – 35x50cm: £29.99, Amazon
- Chalkboard: £389, Graham and Green
- Vintage double sided silver clip display board – receipt keeper accounting system: £33.01, Etsy
July 17th, 2014
So far on our allotment, the only things that have come to fruition are the currant bushes that we inherited. The last time we were there we did a little bit of weeding but we spent the vast majority of our time picking shiny, jewel-like blackcurrants and redcurrants. We harvested almost a kilo of the latter – that’s over £10-worth from a supermarket! 125 grams of it was put towards making a batch of redcurrant muffins.
We acquired a silicon muffin tray in a boxed lot at an auction many moons ago that we surprisingly, have never used. Fished out, dusted down and washed; it turned out 6 big, beautiful muffin specimens! Silicon is a revelation – baked goods ease out of it with no cajoling whatsoever! If you’ve not tried it before, Lakeland does a good range of affordable silicon baking tins, pans and trays.
The redcurrant muffin recipe used here was found on the Abel & Cole website. The rest of the redcurrants have been put into the freezer temporarily, waiting to be turned into jam, jelly and relish; so keep a watch out for some more redcurrant recipes to follow!
July 15th, 2014
Justin spent last Sunday afternoon doing up this vintage trolley or sack truck – here are the results of his labours. It was in a bit of a state – the metal hidden behind years of rust and grease.
The metal now has a lovely patina and we like the greens & yellows of the original paintwork that eventually came through. It has a nice original maker’s label for Willmot Trucks of Dudley. The wheels are also impressed with the word Dudley. It has such a strong, vintage industrial look.
We often have vintage cases & boxes for sale in our pitch so we’ll probably use it for displaying those. But if you’ve always wanted one, and can collect from Todmorden, we could let it go to a good home!
July 14th, 2014
At the start of this month we commemorated the USA’s Independence Day with a Star Spangled Banner Etsy list; so it’s only fitting that we do the same for our near neighbours, the French. Today they celebrate La Fête Nationale – better known over on this side of the Channel as Bastille Day. Vive la France! Vive la République!
La Fête Nationale
Curated by H is for Home
July 13th, 2014
For the past few weeks we’ve been enjoying a blissful al fresco summer – with no end in sight so far (touch wood!). We’ve been pottering in the garden, sitting outside to eat and working on laptops from our deckchairs.
We love a blue & green theme for the garden, it works really well with a backdrop of trees, plants and flowers and creates a restful outdoor vibe.
- Hardwood 2m garden parasol – light blue: £29.99, Homebase
- Romvi LED solar powered outdoor string lights with 20 lights, green & blue shades: £10, B&Q
- Lexon Maizy radio: £49, Ethical Superstore
- Century bench: £49.90, Butlers Online
- Florence table – green: £419.99, Crocus
- Amazonas Belize hanging chair: £37.15, Tesco
- KitchenCraft Bar Craft ‘Vino Curvo’ wine cooler: £13.40, Wayfair
- Coolmovers Meadow Lane acrylic stacking glasses – pack of 4: £6.77, Auravita
- Charcoal bucket BBQ: £9.99, Argos
- Tam Tam green plastic stool: £12, Habitat