We’ve finally polished off all the Christmas Day left overs. I made a (surprisingly delicious) fritata using up a couple of sliced up roast potatoes, sprouts and stuffing. It’s amazing what you can throw together to save on wasting food!
Today has been frosty all day and at times like this, all the body craves is comforting carbs. This hot, creamy cardamom rice pudding just hits the spot!
It’s quick to pull together, foolproof and is delicious served hot with a side of pouring cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 100g/3½oz short-grain pudding rice
- 400ml/14fl oz single cream
- 400ml/14 fl oz full-fat milk
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 5 cardamom pods
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF/Gas mark 2
- Put the rice into a sieve and rinse under a cold water tap
- Drain off excess water and put the rice into a shallow, wide oven-proof dish
- De-husk and grind the cardamom pods in a pestle & mortar
- Put the cream, milk, sugar and ground cardamom into a medium-sized saucepan
- Put the saucepan on a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved (or you can heat the ingredients in a large glass measuring jug in the microwave on high for 2 minutes)
- Remove from the heat and carefully pour the liquid over the rice and give it a little stir
- Bake the mixture for 1½ hours, by which time the pudding should have a golden brown top
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving with cream or ice cream