Justin has just declared this cake one of the best I’ve ever made – in fact one of the best he’s ever eaten – and he’s tried a few… so you must give it a try!
It’s a decadent coffee pecan cake.
It’s moist & light – the honey roasted pecans and muscovado sugar give it a toffee-like depth of flavour which is very apt for bonfire night.
A coffee liqueur-infused mascarpone cream frosting adds a really luxurious touch.
It’s garnished with more crushed pecans and chocolate-coated coffee beans. A very attractive cake with a taste to match!
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter, softened
- 175g/6oz golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tsp instant coffee granules/powder
- 60g/2½oz pecans, chopped
- 500g/1lb mascarpone
- 100g/3½oz muscovado sugar
- 4tbsp coffee liqueur, such as Tia Maria or Kahlúa
- handful pecan halves and a few chocolate-covered coffee beans, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C/355ºF/Gas Mark 4
- Grease a pair of 20cm/8in loose-bottomed tins and line with non-stick parchment paper
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the beaten eggs, a little at a time, and beat well after each addition
- Sift the flour and baking powder together before folding into the batter using a large metal spoon
- Mix the coffee with a tablespoon of hot water and fold into the cake mix with the chopped pecans
- Divide the cake mix equally between the two tins ensuring the surface is level
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes away clean and the surface of the cake is slightly springy to touch
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes in their tins before turning them out onto a wire rack. Leave to cool completely
- Drizzle the flat side of one cake with a tablespoon of the coffee liqueur
- Beat the mascarpone together with the muscovado sugar and the rest of the coffee liqueur until smooth
- Sandwich the cooled cakes with a third of the filling before covering the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the icing
- Sprinkle the top with the pecan halves and chocolate-covered coffee beans