Sometimes product design really bugs me. There are certain things that you just think not enough effort has been put into designing them. Most camper vans fall into this category; we’ve been researching what’s on offer over the last couple of years whilst we’ve been saving for one – and there are certainly a lot of great big, ugly, white boxes on wheels to be found!
For many years, computers were the same – until the gloriously fun, boiled sweet-coloured Apple iMac G3.
There’s a similar problem with the vast majority of modern radiators; great big, ugly, white boxes that you attach to the wall. They occupy so much space in every room of the house – they should be made to be more attractive.
I’d love to replace all the ones in our house with original, reconditioned Victorian or Edwardian cast iron ones. We have 11 radiators in our house, so we’d have to upgrade them one by one… cash flow dependant!
You can, if you scour the ‘net, find brand new ones that are better looking and more stylish than the norm. Here are a few that we found – both new and true vintage – that we’d love to put to work keeping us warm in the chilly months ahead.
- Various cast iron radiators: from £11, eBay
- iBathUK | 600 x 1200 mm anthracite column designer radiator horizontal double oval panel: £169.99, Amazon
- Duett vertical tube horizontal designer radiator (anthracite): from £287.99, Agadon Designer Radiators
- Victorian ‘Slim’ cast iron radiators: from £130, Trade Radiators
- Sterling Edessa – traditional black 2-column horizontal designer radiator 400mm x 1055mm: £179.99 BestHeating