Baking Mad kindly sent us a package containing some cake-making bits & bobs to review last week.
I’ve never posted a cupcake recipe as part of our Cakes & Bakes series to date, so this seemed a good time to start.
I couldn’t decide what kind to make so I opted to do a little pick & mix.
I made up a batch of general cupcake batter and added extra ingredients to make cinnamon & apple, poppy seed & lemon and chocolate & ginger. Here’s my recipe..
Cakes & Bakes: Baking Mad cupcakes
- 85g self-raising flour
- 70g plain flour
- 120g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas mark 3
- Line muffin tins with cupcake papers
- In a small bowl, sift the flours and set aside
- In a larger bowl, cream the butter & add the sugar gradually, beating until fluffy
- In a measuring jug, lightly beat the eggs then add them to the butter & sugar mixture
- Add the dry ingredients bit by bit, alternating with the milk
- With each addition, combine until the ingredients are incorporated well but do not over beat
- [At this point I divided the batter into 3 equal parts and added: (1) 1tbsp poppy seeds, zest & juice of 1 lemon, 2tbsp self-raising flour (2) ¼ Bramley apple, cored & grated + 1tsp ground cinnamon (3) 1tbsp cocoa powder, 3 pieces of crystalised ginger, finely chopped]
- Carefully spoon each of the mixtures into cupcake liners, filling them to about the ? mark
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes or so
- Lift the cupcakes out of the tin on to a wire rack and allow to cool completely prior to icing
My icing skills aren’t the best – I’ve got shaky hands! Using the icing tube was a doddle – and there’s no wastage – I just screwed the cap back on and popped the tube in the fridge for next time.
All the cupcakes were delicious, perfect as little tidbits to have with an afternoon coffee!
We’re hosting a giveaway of the 4 items we didn’t use – only open to UK-based folks we’re afraid! – you can enter below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway