This panna cotta recipe has a very good effort versus reward ratio – it’s quick, easy and utterly delicious.
We once read a great quote “panna cotta is just blancmange with a fancy accent”. That’s kind of true, but panna cotta does sound better doesn’t it? It’s the perfect dessert, particularly if you have to make something at short notice – or if you’re super busy with other jobs – Christmas week for example!!
You can eat it plain – but a quick fruit coulis, caramel sauce or chocolate shavings add a delicious extra dimension. For this batch we made a lovely topping from blackcurrants that we’d preserved in the summer. Honey can also be added to the cream mix which is a classic method in Italy.
- 600ml double cream
- 1tsp Vege-gel (or any other agar agar powder)
- 50g caster sugar
- Pour the double cream into a medium-sized saucepan
- Before heating, add the Vege-gel/agar agar powder and combine well with a whisk
- Add the sugar and heat on a medium flame stirring until the sugar has dissolved
- Bring to simmering and pour into heat proof glass coups or bowls
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before covering with cling film/Saran wrap and putting into the fridge for at least 2 hours
- Serve cold with fruit compote, preserve or coulis