Remember last week, I failed to use the bag of pistachios in my store cupboard? Well I’ve used them this week… well most of them, anyway.
I’ve puréed them and whipped up a batch of pistachio ice cream adapting my basic no-churn ice cream recipe originally borrowed from Nigella.
It tastes nothing like the pistachio ice cream you can buy in a supermarket (in a good way).
It looks nothing like it either – but if you like it like that, by all means add a couple of drops of green food colouring to the mix.
Finish with a generous sprinkling of chopped pistachios and you’ve got yourself a quick, simple summertime dessert to enjoy on it’s own, in a cone or as an accompaniment to a hot fruit pie or brownie.
- 100ml/3½fl oz milk
- 30g/1oz pistachios (shells off weight)
- 300ml/10½floz double cream
- ½ tin condensed milk (200g)
- 2tsp vodka
- 20 pistachios, roughly chopped
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and 30g of pistachios. Turn off the heat just before it begins to simmer. Allow to cool
- Put the double cream, condensed milk, vodka and puréed pistachios into an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on a high speed until firm (about 2 minutes)
- Decant the mixture into a 1-litre lidded tub/container, sprinkle the chopped pistachios over the top and freeze for at least 4 hours - preferably overnight.