I had a large lump of marzipan and some chocolate ganache left over from making last week’s petit fours. I HATE throwing food away so I decided to make a batch of marzipan refrigerator cookies.
It was a quick and easy recipe.
They can be cooked off in small or larger batches – the dough can live happily in the fridge for a week or so – or freezer more indefinitely.
Nothing beats a homemade biscuit – and we loved the sweet, almond flavour of these. If you prefer your cookies to be soft & gooey rather than crisp, lower the heat of the oven to about 150ºC.
We needed a lemon last week for a gnocci dish. We didn’t have any in the house so I popped over to the supermarket quickly to get one. All they had were those string bags containing 4 lemons – they’d run out of the loose ones.
A week later, our fruit bowl still contained 3 lemons – just sitting there – what to do with them? I had a flick through some lemon recipes and saw one for lemon refrigerator cookies. The great thing about refrigerator cookies is that you can bake off just what you need. Say goodbye to stale teatime snacks!
If you fancy them again a few days later, just cut some more slices from the roll – fresh, warm cookies in 15 minutes flat!
Cakes & Bakes: Lemon refrigerator cookies
- 450g/1lb plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2tsp baking powder
- 225g/8oz butter, cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
- 350g/12oz caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- Sift the flour & baking powder into a large bowl
- Add the butter and rub it with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Stir the sugar and lemon zest into the mixture, add the eggs and combine to form a soft dough
- Turn the mixture out on to a lightly floured work surface and divide the dough in half
- Shape each piece of dough into a log shape about 3cm/1¼inches in diameter
- Wrap each log in baking paper and then in foil and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or until required (I put one of the logs in the freezer to use at a later date)
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas mark 5
- Grease a large baking sheet (or a few if you're making a big batch)
- Slice the dough into as many 8mm/⅜-inch slices as required
- Place the slices on the baking sheet, spaced well apart
- Return any remaining dough to the fridge for up to a week
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Leave on the baking sheet to cool slightly for 2-3 minutes before transferring to cool completely