What is it that makes this space such an elegant sitting room?
The owners have retained the original 19th century features where possible, yet it looks thoroughly 21st century – bright, spacious and uncluttered.
The soaring ceilings with central rose and cornicing give the room grandeur. The wide, lime-washed Douglas fir floorboards elongate the space.
Then there’s the statement lighting – the oversized floor lamp and luxe ‘Bling’ chandelier have real impact.
The modern feel is further enhanced by pieces of mid century design furniture, contemporary artwork and textiles.
- Bling chandelier by Robert Abbey
- Farrow & Ball ‘Great White’
- HEKTAR white floor lamp
- Marble oval coffee table
- Raffles sofa
- Ercol Studio couch
- Douglas fir flooring
This wonderfully serene Viennese apartment is the home of Svenja, a 20-something interiors & lifestyle blogger. She blogs at traumzuhause which translates from German as ‘dream home’.
The brilliant white painted walls, ceiling, door, window frames and up-lighter give a feeling of space and calm. The window is huge and is fitted with an inconspicuous, white roller blind which allows for maximum sunlight to shine through.
The lofty ceiling means that the long statement pendant light fitting has the necessary room to be admired to the max. The beautiful herringbone wooden floor is softened with light-coloured rugs and the grey, L-shaped sofa allows for two people to recline in comfort.
We highly recommend you visit her blog where you’ll find lots more inspiring photos of her home.
- Ay illuminate ceiling light, hand-woven cotton
- Muuto Restore storage basket
- Light up message board
- Nexus floor lamp, white finish by Nordlux
- Duke large side table Ø 90cm
- Stelton grey Emma vacuum tea jug
- Acapulco lounge chair
- Grey sheepskin rug
- Coconuts milky white 121 scented candle by Broste Copenhagen
- Grey Columbia corner sofa
This is a fairly traditional yet modern living room. It’s look is easily achievable as many of the fixtures and furnishings are available from the high street or retail park. A calm, neutral palette runs from one room to the next. Geometric patterned textiles provide interest and lift to the space.
- Large oval mirror
- Farrow&Ball Old White 4
- Brass and marble desk lamp
- Kensal console table by GillmoreSPACE
- Zinc: 4 seater sofa
- Zinc: pattern large footstool
- Zinc: pattern scatter cushion
- EKENÄSET armchair
- Cast Tec Verona carrara marble fire surround
- Cromwell small 16 inch solid fuel fire basket
You just want to stroll across this book-filled sitting room, make a bee-line for the shelves and start browsing through the titles. Seeing the selection of books people have on their shelves can tell you so much about them. You’ll very quickly be able to tell if you have any interests in common.
Our sitting room shelves are full of non-fiction – cookery books; books on art, architecture and design; interspersed with bits of colourful vintage pottery and enamelware.
- Vitsoe 606 universal shelving system
- Karina armchair
- 70cm Extra large oversize grey fabric drum lampshade
- ‘Gedy’ round bevelled mirror
- Mustard velvet cotton pillow cover
- Fired Earth ‘Platinum Pale’ matt emulsion
Interior decoration is all about achieving balance within a space, something that this modern rustic living room has perfected.
The backdrop of brilliant white walls with bare wood floor, ceiling and rafters act as the foundation of the room. This light coloured wood is picked up again in the handrails, skirting boards, door frame, Ercol nest of tables and log pile.
The Welsh wool tapestry cushions, playful moose throw and Bokhara rug soften the hard surfaces and provides comfort and colour.
The rustic feel is counterbalanced with touches of modernism via the sleek wood-burning stove and orange & stainless steel angled floor lamp.
- Westfire Uniq 15 DEFRA approved wood burning stove
- Anglepoise type 1228 floor lamp, orange
- Richmond armchair, indigo
- Scandinavian pure new wool throw
- Ercol Originals nest of tables
- Melin Tregwynt knot garden cushion
- Welsh wool tapestry cushions
- Bokhara rug in red
This comfy corner looks a wonderful place to recline and read a book, listen to music, chat on the phone or have an afternoon snooze; the huge sofa & cushions enveloping you. There’s natural light from the big window by day with both mood & directional light for the evening. It looks like the scheme has come together quite organically. It doesn’t seem overly planned and there’s a great skill in achieving that. It just works well – the perfect space to relax & unwind.
- Vintage bevelled Art Deco mirror
- Vintage octagonal Art Deco mirror
- Red deer head mount faux taxidermy
- HEKTAR floor lamp
- Penny Grand sofa
- Play desk lamp
- KILO multi-coloured metal nest of 3 side tables