From this week, in England, you will have to pay 5p for each new plastic bag you use when you do your shopping at any of the larger shops and supermarkets.
I’m really happy that England has finally brought in this legislation, single-use plastic bags cause a lot of litter and are harmful – even deadly – to wildlife both on land and in the world’s oceans & waterways.
I got into the habit many moons ago of having a few reusable shopping bags folded up and stuffed into most of my handbags. They’re not too bulky or heavy and are mostly cheap to buy or even make if you’re of the crafty persuasion. After just a couple of months of using reusable shopping bags, they’ll have paid for themselves!
- Canvas shopper bag: £4, Next
- Carrot shopping bag: £13, Etsy
- Hearts foldaway shopping bag: £8, Cath Kidston
- ASOS shopper bag: £20, ASOS
- Fairtrade recycled cement shopper bag by recycle-recycle: £15, notonthehighstreet