We’ve brought together the perfect Valentine hearts selection that will show your other half that you put a bit of thought into the day – it might make a change from flowers & chocolates.
Does anything say ‘I love you’ more than the gift of 250 Love Hearts mini rolls? 😉
- Heart fabric: £3.76, Etsy
- Heart bowl with ladle: £33, Royal Design
- Antique heart-shaped cheese mould: £33.60 each, English Abode
- Love heart envelope clutch bag: £25, ASOS
- 250 Love Heart mini rolls: £19.99, Love Hearts
We don’t do the Valentine’s night restaurant ‘thing’ – long rows of tables for two, knocking elbows with the couples either side. So we usually stay in with something good to eat and a bottle of red.
This Valentine’s, Justin made gnocchi Gorgonzola and I made chocolate mousse for dessert (I even served them in heart-shaped ramekins). We rented a film, bought a bottle of nice Shiraz and settled in for the night… perfect!
Chocolate mousse isn’t quite a cake or a bake but I thought I’d share the recipe anyway! I tweaked a recipe from Gordon Ramsay’s Sunday Lunch: And Other Recipes from the F Word
Cakes & Bakes: Chocolate mousse
- 100g dark chocolate
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 egg white
- 50g caster sugar
- White chocolate shavings, to garnish
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and set aside. In a small saucepan, heat half of the cream until boiling
- Turn off the heat, add the chocolate pieces and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth
- Pour the mixture into a bowl set over a large bowl of iced water and add the rest of the cream and brandy
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, beat the mixture to soft peaks
- Remove the bowl from the iced water
- Whisk the egg white with a hand-held electric beater until it forms stiff peaks
- Add the sugar to the egg white, one tablespoon at a time, whisking continuously
- Using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the meringue through the chocolate mixture
- Spoon or pipe into chilled ramekins or serving glasses/pots
- Garnish with the white chocolate shavings
- Serve immediately or chill for up to 2 days
Be my Valentine
curated by H is for Home
We always like to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a little post. This year, we bring you a selection of Valentine-inspired vintage homewares available on the Etsy website. Click-through if anything takes your fancy!
I’ve never really been into Valentine’s Day – unimaginative boxes of chocolates, flowers and lacy undies… and all those tables of two, elbow-to-elbow, in jam packed restaurants.
Here’s my top ten selection of things that could get me into the Valentine’s swing of things!
- Sweetheart Shape Sugar – £6.95, Fortnum & Mason
- Personalised Carved Heart Engraved Wood Cutting Board – $45 USD, Etsy
- Heart Mirror – £12, Urban Outfitters
- Mulberry Valentines heart key ring £70, Selfridge’s
- “home is where the heart is” Mug – £9.50, Oliver Bonas
- Double Heart Silicone Mould – £3.99, Lakeland
- Diana F+ Love Letters with Flash – €99, Lomography
- Heart Snow Globe – £10, Paperchase
- Vitra Heart Cone Chair by Verner Panton – £1900.60, Heal’s
- 12 Mini Heart Silicone Cases – £5, Marks & Spencer
Very timely! A set of four stamps from Sweden celebrating St Valentine’s day. What’s the word for ‘Love’ in Swedish I hear you ask? Well, it’s ‘Kärlek’!
These stamps are currently for sale from the Philatelic Agency of Japan for 1,350 yen (approx. £10/$16 USD)
To mark the day, here’s a little collection of our vintage valentine reds!
Click here to see larger image